“Proper” Free Stuff for Non Profits
5th June 2023
We do a lot of work in the non profit sector. We like to help organisations that are doing good reach their full technological potential.
When we take on a new non profit client we are often surprised that they are “making do” with open source solutions to run their critical technology. Or they are paying for licenses that they can get for free or more cheaply.
Open source solutions are often put in by volunteers eager to help out but also save money for the organisation. There is nothing wrong with open source. But these solutions need a lot of initial set up and maintaining. They are not easily picked up by others if the person who put the system in is no longer available. The open source box or software is usually left running without security patches being applied, making the organisation vulnerable to cyber risks.
So what is the alternative?
The Microsoft non profit program offers the following:
- 10 free Microsoft 365 Business Premium licenses. The license includes Office, Email, Teams, online files and some excellent tools for managing devices, allowing mobiles or laptops to be remotely wiped if lost safeguarding your data and reputation.
- 300 Business Basic licenses. These can be used to give email, Teams and online Office programs to users and volunteers within your organisation
- Discounts on Microsoft’s Surface devices
- $3,500 Azure credits to enable use of Azure to host servers or other business applications
- Discounted pricing on a range of licenses and software
Google also offer support for non profit organisations. They offer:
- 10 free Google Workspace for non profit licenses
- $10,000 of in kind advertising for creating text based ads and to build campaigns to promote your organisation
- YouTube non profit program to raise awareness of your organisation and help fund raise
There are so many other alternatives available allowing non profits to match commercial organisations so for a full review of your technology needs get in touch with us today.